I present to you AOKP for the Kindle Fire
Let me start off by giving thanks to some people that have made this possible.
And a big thanks to Hashcode who has made a 3.0 kernel for this great piece of hardware!
Alright with that out of the way let’s get to the AOKP goodness for our precious Kindle Fire. I originally flashed build 32 that I found over at XDA. Although it was working quite well, I did notice a few things here and there that I felt needed some attention. I downloaded the AOKP source and got to work. I ended up squashing a few bugs and adding a few features in the process and I am now going to share that work with all of you.
Here is the AOKP changelog for build 33:
- Bluetooth: Fixed memory leak and file handles leak
- Nav bar & tablet status bar FCs fixed
- Fixed some init.d scripts not running due to lack of bash
- Changing brightness by sliding on the top of the statusbar (if enabled) shouldn’t FC anymore
- Fixed Data toggle not updating properly
- Torch should be acting normally again
- ROM Control: Fixed scrolling cache not setting properly
- Weather will refresh whenever SystemUI starts instead of when the phone boots (so if it gets restarted, it should fetch weather again, it didn’t before)
- Lockscrens: Added lockscreen wallpapers to pin & pattern unlock screens
- Settings: fixed link mute states always being checked
- Added another ROM Control shortcut that opens ROM Control
- Added ability to translate weather conditions (only German is translated for now I think)
- Mms: added ability to strip unicode (CM)
- Mms: added emoji icons (CM)
- Mms: added quick emoji button to left of input (option you must enable)
- Added warnings to fast charge (will notify you if it’s enabled on boot)
- Hide navbar feature for tablets
- More music players supported for AVRCP 1.3
Now for what I’ve fixed from the build 32 I tried:
- Menu button caused other nav buttons to shrink in size
- SystemUI FC due to temporary menu button be added to the navbar when it was already included
- USB mass storage now working
- Fixed navbar disappearing when using the “RESET NAV BAR” option
- Added a volume slider to tablet status bar
- Added settings button to Trebuchet launcher
- Removed BT and GPS toggles from quicktoggles
- Added screenshot button to navbar (ROM Control in settings)
- MAKE A NANDROID (Backup current device ROM and data)
- highly recommended: wipe data/factory reset in recovery - absolutely required if coming from another ROM
- flash ROM
- flash Gapps
Okay I did find a few issues but I am squashing them as they show up. If you find a problem/issue/bug please let me know what it is and how to re-create the problem. Working with the source is far easier than the work I have done with MIUI so I have much more control over the issues.
It appears there is an issue with CWM Recovery and the 3.0 kernel. Right now you will need to use TWRP to flash this, and any other ROMs using the 3.0 kernel.